Know more about Cordyceps, see what are its benefits and adverse effects.
The Cordyceps sinensis or caterpillar mushroom is a parasitoid, it lives during a period of its life time, inside a host which in this case are caterpillars.
It originates from mountainous regions of China and can be reproduced in the laboratory, so it is only necessary to periodically collect small amounts of the fungus that originates the mushroom.
The benefits of this mushroom are poorly proven as research is very divergent.
- It can be used as food, and in the West it is only found as a supplement;
- It can be considered an adaptogen;
- It is most often used to improve body and mind, as it reduces fatigue, stimulates the immune system and increases the feeling of mental and physical well-being;
- Activates macrophages and Natural Killer cells that are important for immunity and controls the release of cytokines;
- Facilitates energy production;
- May have positive effects on depression;
- It has an antibiotic effect against Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium paraputricum, but does not eliminate bifidobacteria and lactobacilli from the intestinal flora;
- It may help in the fight against cancer, if research advances further and it seems to have protective effects on the kidney;
- In addition to cordycepin and adenosine, it contains several vitamins (B, E) and minerals (zinc, selenium, chromium, phosphorus, potassium).
It should not be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding as the effects at this stage of life are not known.
It should not be taken by people with multiple sclerosis, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or any other pathology related to the immune system.
The increased activity of the immune system that supplementation causes may worsen disease symptoms or interfere with medication.
If you are looking for a mental and physical stimulus try Cordyceps sinensis.
Appropriate doses for supplementation are not defined, be aware of the manufacturers’ recommendations.
Knowing the lack of regulation that exists in supplementation, be careful to choose good brands and if possible brands that use organic mushroom extracts.